TEXT- Hebrews 11-12:12.
A. Stories. Elk; Train- no light; Four poster bed; Fell out of bed; Jet lag-pill; Do not disturb.
B. The world is dying and facing a Christless eternity and there seems so little we can do.
C. SATAN’S SEEDS: Humanism in schools, Hollywood and TV. Distorted music; Alcohol and drugs; immorality, promiscuity. Liberalism.
D. Satan fruits:
We live in a world that seems void of absolutes:
- Philosophy is gray..no black or white.
- In art- impressionistic and abstract.
- In music, a clash of harmony, melody and rhythm. Taunting angry chants.
- In general culture- No traditional values. Family, friends, patriotism.
- In Religion- flooded with “new age”, eastern religions, intellectualism or emotionalism.
These result in anxiety, depression, rage, resentment, inferiority complexes and guilt.
E. Satan’s promises:
- Promise light but gives darkness.
- Promise truth but gives lies.
- Promise peace but gives fears.
- Promise companionship but gives loneliness.
- Promise health but gives brokenness.
- Promise wealth but gives poverty.
- Promise freedom but gives slavery.
- Promise life but gives death.
F. The church must bloom in a world of weeds.
- It too is reaping what it has sown.
- We must remember who we are!
- If we believe and obey as they believed and obeyed in the First Century, we would achieve as they achieved in the first century.
G. We need to remember who we are as Christians.
ILLUSTRATION- Son going off to college- “Remember who you are son”.
H. There is a race before us and we must remember that we are “KING’S KIDS”.
I. THE INCENTIVE….WITNESSES. HEBREWS 12:1.
A. The witnesses in the past-
- If they finished the race, so can we!
- If He can change our lives and work through us we can be people who He is proud of.
Hebrews 11:16; 11:38. 11:1-32-38.
B. We sometimes feel inadequate when we look at the hero’s of our faith.
Noah, Abraham and Isaac; Jacob; Moses; Gideon; Samson, Samuel; David.
C. What made them qualified for the Hall of Faith?
1. It was NOT their righteousness.
- Noah became drunk.
- Abraham and Isaac lied about their wives.
- Jacob lied and cheated everyone.
- Moses was a murderer.
- Gideon was fearful.
- Samuel failed as a father.
- David was immoral and a murderer.
2. In fact the three men who wrote most of the 66 books of the Bible were all murderers! (Moses, David and Paul).
3. It was their faith in the grace of God that placed them in the Hall of Faith and make them acceptable! Hebrews 11:6 “Without faith it is impossible to please God”.
4. Hebrews 11:39. They were “approved by their faith”.
- By faith Able gave the best he had to God.
- By faith Noah built an ark even though he had never seen rain or a flood.
- By faith Abraham went off seeking a city he had never seen.
- By faith Sarah trusted God for a child even though she was 80.
- By faith Abraham offered God his only son.
- By faith Moses choose to suffer with God’s people.
- Others. see verses 32-40.
D. These people still witness to us! Like Abel – “He being dead yet speaks!”
E. What they witness to us:
IT’S NOT THAT WE ARE A GREAT PEOPLE
IT’S THAT WE HAVE A GREAT GOD!
E. Can we also find this victory?
YES WE CAN!
“Who is the he in the we that makes it possible for me to say, “yes we can?” Me? You? Christ!
II. THE PREPARATION FOR THE RACE. 12:1. HEBREWS 12:1.
A. Lay aside ever encumbrances:
1. The things that cling to us; hold us down. It is sin that easily entangles us.
- All sin is sin without distinction.
- The greatest sin is the lack of faith. At time our faith conquers mountains … at other
- times we stumble over a pebble.
- We get our eyes on the sin and we fail.
- People are accepted because of their faith in Christ, and not because of their personal
B. Their faith took them “THROUGH and BEYOND” their problems to victory.
- Lazarus grave clothes. John 11:43-44.
- Dead men have NO APPETITE, ACTIVITY OR AWARENESS.
- Alive men can WALK, WORK, AND WITNESS.
III. THE RACE. HEBREWS 12:1.
A. It is an APPOINTED race. It is “set”, “Established”
- It is “set before us”. (In front of us).
- It is not a random or undefined race.
- Jesus walked it long ago..”Walk in His steps”. I Peter 2:21.
B. The SPEED of the race”. Not loiter.
- “What so ever you find to do, do it with all your heart”
- . “This one thing I do”.
C. THE ATTITUDE of the runer.
- Run with patience. Hebrews 10:35-39.
D. THE INSPIRATION…”FIX”. HEBREWS 12:2. “Fixing your eyes on Jesus”.
- Set your hope on becoming one that God is proud to call His son or daughter. One of whom the world is not worthy.
E. THE GOAL… a finished faith. He is the “author and finisher of our faith”.
Phil. 1:6; Eph. 2:8-10…HEAVEN Rev. 21.
A. The TV commercial. Two running towards each other.
B. The offering basket. “If I didn’t have no money to give Jesus all I should give him was myself”.